Tuesday, July 20, 2010

insane hail storm

Since moving to Wisconsin the weather has been interesting. It's very humid and around the upper 70's. When we first got here some days I would feel cold. The humidity is also really hard for me to adjust too and I actually prefer the dry hotter heat of Arizona.

With that said some of this weather has brought thunderstorms, rain, tornado watches and warnings. The sirens in our town have gone off several times, even once at 2:30 am.

We may have grown up here but we are not use to this. So this afternoon about 10 minutes after Abigail's nap the sky gets dark and within 5 minutes it starts raining and soon hailing. The hail was about quarter in size and came down hard. Along with the wind and the hail pounding on our roof, siding, doors and windows it had us running to the basement for safety. It was crazy.


Jake and Abigail looking at the hail fall. Abigail was so chill from her nap the noise didn't bother her.

Us in the basement checking the radar.
After the storm, Christmas in July...
We have a mini shovel for the car that Jake was using to push the ice away from the house and porches.

Piles and piles of ice
My poor flowers and plants got completely destroyed. They will grow back next year but not for the rest of this summer. Sniff.

As Jake and I cleaned up some of the mess and assessed some of the damage to the house Abigail had a blast picking up and playing with the ice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back..I can't believe the hail you got. The storm hit here first and we had to take cover as well. I am not a fan of the sever weather.
-michelle sundblad

Krista said...

That IS insane! Whoa! I can't believe you had to go into your basement. That's pretty scary! I'll send dry, hot thoughts your way!

Noelle said...

Holy cow!! Unbelievable! We got a "big" rain / hail storm today too...but after seeing your pics I'm reassessing saying it was a "big" storm...it was nothing compared to that!! Goodness! Hope you don't have too much damage aside from your poor flowers!

Rachel Olimb said...

Holy smokes, I've never seen piles of hail like that before! So glad no one was on the road and you were all together.