Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Eating Greens


Most doctors and nutrition experts would say that everyone should eat their greens. Even babies have peas and beans to start the trend of healthy eating. However, not Abigail, at least for the time being. Abigail is off green vegetables.
Here's what happened:
Peas were introduced and Abigail actually enjoyed them. Luckily we started with only a few spoonfuls. A few hours later red welts appeared on her arms and back. In addition to that, she had a horrible diaper rash. Yes, horrid. Then in the middle of the night, Abigail then woke up screaming and in pain. The peas soon came out of her system in a total of 3 diapers. Poor thing. Abigail has an intolerance to the peas. I called our Doc. and he told us to stay clear of any green veggies until our next well-visit in a couple of months.
Having the intolerance to the peas, at this point, just means that her body isn't ready for the food. We will just have to try again later and stick to the yellow and orange veggies and fruits instead.
I am okay with that because the smell that tiny jar of peas gave off was BAD!

5 comments:

Krista said...

Wow, Erin, that is so scary! I'm glad Abigail is doing ok & you know to avoid green veggies. I've never had hives or a reaction, but I am also on the avoiding peas diet & it has worked just great for me :)

Noelle said...

Oh No!!! Poor thing! So glad you started with just a little for her! That had to be so scary to see such a reaction!!

I'm on the no peas diet too that Krista mentioned...Abigail is just joining the club. I think Addysen wishes she had the same reaction as Abigail so she could be on the no peas diet too! :-)

Rachel Olimb said...

That DOES sound scary, Erin! However, you sound like one cool mama in your post!

Natalie said...

Awwwww! Poor little one. Hopefully she'll get to enjoy peas, spinach, etc. later on in life. :)

Natalie said...

.....and yes, you seem very "calm, cool and collected" about it. I bet it was scary to see that kind of reaction. :(